What is SEO?
SEO stands for “Search Engine Optimization” and is an internet buzz-word that’s oft debated and very rarely understood.
Whenever someone open’s their browser, they usually put a search term into a search engine — the most popular by far being Google. A list of results pop up, and the vast majority of clicks go to the results in the top visible area of the initial results, with about 90% of all the traffic going to the results on the very first page of results. The reason some websites consistently rank much higher than others and for many more terms is a collection of powerful website optimization techniques collectively refereed to as “SEO”. There are many myths & misconceptions about SEO, which is why we’ve written a page about them to try and help clear things up for you!
The bottom line is that getting your website found is just as important and perhaps even more difficult for web developers to accomplish effectively than creating a great overall website. So how do we accomplish this? Below is a descriptive “shortlist” of some of the methods we use for our clients. Unfortunately it isn’t actually a short list! We advise anyone to be suspicious of any SEO Company or developer that won’t divulge their “SEO methods” for any reason – we’ve seen many clients that just get some on-page optimization, an occasional rankings report — and not much else!
We do extensive optimization work that you can see, without using automated programs or sending you regular email reports. We’ll do everything we can for all our clients on an on-going basis to make their sites rank as highly as possible without risking having Google ban or penalize your site for “dubious” SEO techniques.
Sample Of On-Site Optimization Techniques
- Keyword / Phrase Target Selection — This process can involve brainstorming, checking old traffic statistics, using tools such as the Digital Point suggestion tool to see what search phrases are popular — and then optimizing your site for these. The more content your site has, the more phrases you can optimize for.
- Cleaning up URLs / Removing Querystrings for URLs.
- Redirect non-www versions of your site and use multiple domains as proper forwarding domains.
- Fixing links to indexes, redirecting broken links to sitemap, including sitemap on 404 page, permalink naming.
- Removing frames from the entire website if possible.
- Making the title of each page variable and relevant to that page’s content and targeted phrases and keywords.
- Ensuring meta description and keywords are variable and relevant to the specific pages content and targeted phrases and keywords.
- Ensuring every page has a proper H1 heading and main body content is immediately after.
- Replacing flash and image based navigation with CSS and Jquery instead; improves SEO, speed, & cross-compatibility.
- Text based footer navigation to every page.
- Dynamic Google XML sitemap generation.
- Replacing Tables with CSS / Div structure.
- Review source code & source code order – move content as close to the top of the source as possible.
- Review optimized website with spider programs such as Xenu, and complete further revisions.
- Optimize & tag all images, relating them to nearby text content.
Sample Of On-Going Optimization Techniques
- Link Building — This is effectively the “secret sauce” of high end SEO. Although difficult, tedious, and impossible to fake or automate; carefully and consistently building links back to your site from related content (forums, blogs, articles, etc.) posted on other websites with a high page-rank and “do-follow” links as Google interprets them will give you the decisive edge in the rankings over pages with otherwise similar content and on-page SEO.
- New content! Whether it is a small article, blog posting, or new page periodically — having your website constantly updated with fresh new content will help your rankings immensely. It will also give visitors and prospective customers a tangible reason to check back regularly and increase the resource value of your website.
- Active Marketing / Advertising — Pay Per Click Campaigns — This is the most direct, aggressive, and often effective way of immediately generating targeted traffic to your website. Setting up a pay-per-click (PPC) campaign for highly competed over terms in Google or banner advertising on a popular local website can help to immediately increase the ROI for your website.
- Analyze & Adjust — by carefully watching your traffic over time and noticing trends and patterns and comparing that to the existing targets and optimization we can make adjustments to the strategy as we go, mixing things up and experimenting with what works in your particular area of the market & optimizing your results as we go.
- List in Directories — We work to uncover not just the giant generic directories to list your business in, but the smaller & highly focused ones for your industry; and assist you to optimize your online listings.
- Keep in Constant Contact With Your Existing Client Base — searching and browsing isn’t everything. “Touching” your client base regularly with a friendly email newsletter &/or special promotion can help you to reach the target audience and convert visitors into customers.
- Competitive Analysis — no need to reinvent the wheel. By analyzing what the competition in your market is doing we can efficiently figure out how to get the edge and make the most of your SEO.
SEO is a broad & popular field with a lot of misinformation floating around. We have started an SEO specific blog which can be found here: http://www.Calgary-Seo.ca/
We have written articles on our SEO blog such as;
Please also see: Myth’s & Misconceptions About SEO